The open source search and analytics suite, including the complementary solution for data visualisation, are the newest additions to Instaclustr’s fully managed platform that also includes Apache Cassandra, Apache Kafka, Redis, and PostgreSQL, among others.
The OpenSearch managed service is based on the fully open source and Apache 2.0-licensed OpenSearch project, which is derived from Apache 2.0-licensed Elasticsearch 7.10.2 and Kibana 7.10.2.
According to Instaclustr, the project was established following the open source community’s decision to provide a true open source alternative to Elasticsearch after Elastic.co’s decision earlier this year, which moved the technology from the Apache 2.0 license to a dual license under the Server Side Public License (SSPL) and the Elastic License.
Because OpenSearch is a hard fork of Elasticsearch, the functionality of the two offerings should be expected to go separate over time, Instaclustr says.
Instaclustr recommends that any organisations seeking to retain the advantages of a true open source ecosystem should move to OpenSearch as soon as possible to minimise migration effort.
The new OpenSearch offering builds on operational expertise from Instaclustr’s managed service around the Open Distro for Elasticsearch, a fully open source distribution of Elasticsearch free of any restrictive licensing.
In March 2020, Instaclustr became the first company to offer a managed service for the Open Distro for Elasticsearch outside of AWS, the project’s original sponsor. Instaclustr will continue to offer Open Distro for Elasticsearch for at least the next six months (but recommends using this distribution only if required for legacy compatibility reasons).
“The addition of managed OpenSearch and OpenSearch Dashboards to the Instaclustr Managed Platform ensures customers have a true open source alternative following Elasticsearch’s licensing changes,” explains Instaclustr vice president of product management Paul Aubrey. “For any businesses currently running Elasticsearch clusters that worry about its shift to proprietary licensing, we highly recommend exploring OpenSearch and our managed offering.”
Managed OpenSearch from Instaclustr includes:
- OpenSearch cluster provisioning and configuration flexibility using the new Instaclustr Management Console or REST APIs (with a Terraform provider coming soon)
- Support for AWS, Microsoft Azure and GCP
- The option to include OpenSearch Dashboard as part of your cluster
- Access to OpenSearch-specific monitoring metrics via Instaclustr’s API or console
- Easy vertical scaling via customer-initiated resize
- The option to run OpenSearch in Instaclustr’s cloud service provider account or your own
- OpenSearch deployment as a Private Network Cluster for enhanced security
- An OpenSearch security plugin that is prebuilt on all clusters by default
- SOC 2-compliance
- PCI-compliance when deployed on AWS
- Assisted migration onto the Instaclustr Managed Platform
- Continuous monitoring and alerting
- Production-ready OpenSearch clusters with SLAs up to 99.9999% available
- Highly responsive 24×7 support from Instaclustr’s expert team
- Full documentation
Instaclustr invites customers to begin a free trial of Managed OpenSearch of contact the Instaclustr Sales team to get started.