There are plenty of sub-$1000 Windows PCs out there, but with many still disadvantaged by dog-slow hard disk drives, low-resolution screens and paltry processors, they're not designed for those who want a powerful computing experience without compromise.
When it comes to a properly powerful computing experience, in an ultra-compact size coupled with stylish design, the reality is that you absolutely get what you pay for, and that's why Huawei's Core i5 MateBook 13 model with 2K "FullView" 13-inch touchscreen display, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD is $1799, and the Core i7 model with the same screen, RAM, 512GB SSD and discrete NVIDIA GeForce MX 150 graphics is $2199.
Available from today at the Sydney Microsoft Store on Pitt St in Mystic Silver and Space Grey, and on Microsoft's online store, Huawei says its new Matebook 13 models "introduce new ways for users to connect their notebook with smartphones, blurring the lines between mobile devices and personal computers".
- FullView display: screen-to-body ratio of 88 percent; 3:2 aspect ratio; 4.4mm ultra-thin bezels
- High-quality screen: 2K resolution, sRGB 100 percent
- Advanced manufacturing: metal chassis, stunning colours, powerful
- Thin and portable: 14.9mm thick and weighing 1.28kg
- The top-end MateBook 13 is powered by 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8565U processor (Whisky Lake) and the NVIDIA GeForce®MX 150 Discrete GPU, TDP 25 Watt
- High Performance Fans Featuring HUAWEI Shark Fin Design 2.0
- Long Battery Life: local FHD video playing for about 10 hours (integrated GPU version: about 10 hours; discrete GPU version: about 9.6 hours)
- Multi-Functional Power Adapter: A 15-minute charge can provide 2.5 hours of normal use.
- User-friendly features - Eye comfort mode: A state-of-the-art screen can filter up to 30% of the blue light that strains the eyes over time. Simply select Eye Comfort Mode to automatically adjust white balance and colour tone to protect your retina and avoid eyestrain, allowing you to work and play in optimal comfort for as long as you like.
If you have a Huawei smartphone with Huawei OneHop, you can also use the NFC connectivity to share video and photo content from your smartphone to the MateBook. Whether Huawei will open this up to other Android devices is yet to be seen, but for those in the Huawei ecosystem, it's a cool feature to have and use.
We're told the Huawei phone needs to have EMEUI 9.0 or later, or Magic UI 2.0 or later installed, and it allows you to "upload 500 photos of roughtly 3MB in size each in 1 minute, and 1 GB of video in 35 seconds. If your images contain text, the Huawei MateBook 13 can extract the words from the image for easy editing".
Larking Huang, managing director of Huawei Australia's Consumer Business Group, said: "Huawei is committed to providing a truly seamless experience for users, and the HUAWEI MateBook 13 is a great example of this – it combines FullView display, user friendly features, a top-end processor and so much more.
"For Huawei, creating something that isn’t just stylish but provides such easy interconnection between smart devices and laptops is all part of the experience we’re proud to deliver."
So, what else does Huawei say abut its new MateBook 13 Series?
We're told that it "represents both Huawei’s experience in mobile innovation and its commitment to producing the products of the highest quality.
Speaking of its Core i7 model, we're told that it is "powered by an 8th Generation Intel Core i7 processor and a NVIDIA GeForce MX 150, it also has a shark fin-inspired cooling system that comprises of low-noise, high-performance fans. When it comes to quality of life and productivity, the powerful and stylish Huawei MateBook 13 is the ideal companion".
Jan Harling, chief executive of Microsoft Australia, said: "The HUAWEI MateBook 13 delivers great performance, style, and is incredibly user friendly. The interconnectivity between devices, multi-functional power adapter and portability proves it’s an obvious choice for a modern professional who wants to increase productivity while staying in style."
Huawei notes that the MateBook 13 "joins the flagship series HUAWEI MateBook X Pro, as well as all-round series Huawei MateBook D and innovative 2-in-1 series Huawei MateBook E. With the launch of the MateBook 13, there’s no doubt Huawei is setting a new trend for FullView ultra-books".
This means more Huawei notebooks to come this year, from the "all-round value" market through to the ultra-premium end with the MateBook X Pro.
Here's Huawei's official MateBook 13 video, the specs are below. A review of the MateBook 13 will come.
- Size: 13 inches
- Screen-to-body ratio: 88%
- Resolution: 2160 x 1440, 200 PPI
- Aspect ratio: 3:2
- Viewing angle: 178 degrees
- Colour: sRGB 100% colour gamut
- Contrast: 1000:1
- Maximum Brightness: 300 nits（Typical）
- Dimensions (H × W × D): 286mm × 211mm × 14.9mm
- Weight: approximately 1.28 kg Model with Integrated Graphics: about 1.28kg; Model with Discrete GPU: about 1.3kg
- Color: Space Grey, Mystic Sliver
- 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8265U processor
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U processor
- Intel UHD Graphics 620 with the i5 model
- NVIDIA GeForce MX 150 (TDP 25 Watt) with 2GB GDDR5 with the i7 model
- 8GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
- 256GB / 512GB PCIe SSD
Buttons and Ports
- One touch power button
- 3.5 mm headset and microphone 2-in-1 jack
- USB-C x 2 (the left port supporting data transfer and charging, the right port supporting data transfer and DisplayPort)
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4/5 GHz 2x2 MIMO
- BT 5.0 (compatible with 4.1, 3.0 and 2.1+EDR)
- Front camera: 1MP
- DOLBY ATMOS. Audio mixing feature not supported
- Material: Lithium polymer
- 42 Wh (Typical Capacity)
- Local FHD video playback: 9.6 hours(with discrete GPU)
- Local FHD video playback: 10 hours (with integrated GPU)
- *Testing conducted by Huawei in Huawei’s laboratory environment.
- HUAWEI MateBook Charger 65W
- Input: 110 V–220 V AC, 50/60 Hz
- Output: 5V/2A, 9V/2A,12V/2A, 15V/3A, 20V/3.25A
- Support multiple output modes, and quick charge for different devices.
- HUAWEI PC Manager
- Microsoft Translator
- Monitor Manager
- Factory Reset
- Eye Comfort Mode
- HUAWEI USB-C Power Adapter 65W
- HUAWEI MateDock 2
- HUAWEI Bluetooth Mouse
- HUAWEI Backpack
- HUAWEI USB 3.0 A/M TO RJ45 Cable
- Laptop Sleeve