The Australian reported on Friday that major operators were looking to bypass the national broadband network and though 5G deployment would be expensive, they had no option but to do so given the prices charged by the NBN Co.
Shadow Communications Minister Michelle Rowland said earlier this week that the party was not ruling out the option of writing down the value of the NBN.
“Still, over the longer run we expect technological advances, regulatory distortions and high mobile network investment to slowly tilt the balance in favour of 5G wireless broadband services.”
The report also quoted S&P analyst Graeme Ferguson as saying that the NBN had reshaped the incentive structure of the entire industry.
"With the telcos having to spend more money into 5G, there is really no money for them in fixed broadband on the NBN,” he said. “It’s still important for the telcos to stay in the fixed market and there will be a role for fixed services, but the ultimate prize is NBN bypass.”
ISPs, on the whole, have been unable to provide higher-speed NBN plans due to the cost of CVC. When iTWire asked some providers about this last week, they were mostly at one on this issue.
Only one company, the Launceston-based Launtel, has dipped its foot into providing gigabit connections, and that too only in Tasmania.
The other company to provide such connections, MyRepublic, did so during a trial in Wollongong a year ago. About 100 people continue to use the connections which cost $129.95 a month.