amaysim (or is that amumsim or mamaysim?) has jumped aboard the Mother's Day gift guide bandwagon, and has set in train a campaign that shouldn't get anyone off the rails.
It is this: "Aussies love staying connected with mum year-round, regardless of where you are in the world – mum’s only ever a call, text or video chat away."
Now, I must make it clear that the whole Stevie Wonder tie-in is my idea, and nothing to do with amaysim, but hey, it seemed appropriate – to me, at least.
So – back to amaysim and Mother's Day. According to both amaysim's 2018 Mother's Day mobile usage, and new research conducted via a survey of 1000 people aged 18+ in conjunction with PureProfile, it turns out that "we’re not all talk!"
Interestingly, one amaysim customer in NSW spent a whopping 8.75 hours on just one phone call, while a lady in SA made 117 calls to the same number – now that’s showing mum she’s top of mind!
So, what are some other stats amaysim is sharing with us all?
- The majority (62%) of Aussies celebrate Mother’s Day claiming they still really like to have a set day to show mum just how much she means to them.
- Around 8 in 10 (79%) Aussies will give mum a call to show their appreciation on this special day, while close to six in 10 (58%) intend to send flowers or chocolates.
- Almost half (48%) will send mum a text so she knows they’re thinking about her, and if they can’t be there in person, 3 in 10 (30%) will connect with mum over a video call.
- While Mother’s Day remains sacred to many, almost a third (31%) of the nation think connecting with mum on another day is more special.
Of the mums surveyed (36% of the total sample):
- Around 8 in 10 would simply love quality face-to-face time (82%) or a call (80%) on Mother’s Day, close to half would be happy with a text (52%) and 4 in 10 would opt for a video call (43%).
- Just 1 in 10 want a gift like flowers or chocolates – it seems connecting with their children is the only present that really matters!
The findings build on mobile usage data from amaysim’s subscribers, which reveals that on Mother’s Day in 2018:
- Close to one third (31%) made a voice call, and just over a quarter (28%) sent SMS messages.
- There was a 26% increase in MMS (images, videos and sound files) sent on this day, compared to other Sundays in May, and calls to loved ones overseas rose 12%
- And, as noted above, one amaysim customer in NSW spent a whopping 8.75hrs on just one phone call!
Isaac Ward, chief commercial officer, amaysim said: “While Mother’s Day is a special day for most Australians, our research shows that as a nation, we love staying connected with mum year-round.
“It also suggests that if you can’t visit mum in person on 12 May, spending some quality time talking on the phone with her is a great way to show your appreciation.
“At amaysim, all our plans offer unlimited talk and text to standard numbers in Australia, so you can call mum every day and chat until her heart’s content. And if mum isn’t in the country, don’t sweat it – our range of Unlimited 10GB to 60GB mobile plans include international standard calls.
“Whether you’re living at home, interstate or even overseas, mum’s only ever a call, text or video chat away – so, pick up your phone and show her some love.”
As you might expect, more information on amaysim’s monthly mobile plans is here.
Here's Stevie Wonder's classic song to reminisce over: