Following an open tender process, the Australian Taxation Office is using face verification from iProov to extend its national digital identity program and to provide a liveness solution for myGovID.
Unlike face recognition, which matches a physical face seen in a crowd to a list of images on a database, face verification is done with the knowledge and collaboration of the user, and iProov says its Genuine Presence Assurance uses a facial biometric scan that is highly secure, “yet effortless to use on any personal device”.
- iProv says the Genuine Presence Assurance process delivers a multitude of benefits including:
- Simple and inclusive to use - a brief, passive face biometric scan requires no effort from the user. No need for movement, following instructions or other skills.
- Inclusive to access - works on any device and is not dependent upon any particular brand or model.
- Convenient - enables users to access more services securely online reducing the need for visits to shopfronts or phone calls.
- Secure – protects against identity theft by preventing impersonation or the use of copies of victims’ faces.
- Resilient – actively mitigates risks from emerging threats.
- Privacy is maximised and respected - user data is fully protected.
- Encourages growth of Australia’s digital economy by increasing uptake and use of online services.
According to iProov, its Genuine Presence Assurance technology will enable Australians to set up their myGovID digital identity using a simple face scan on their mobile devices, providng access to a range of services, including managing tax returns, accessing health services and applying for benefits.
Andrew Bud, CEO of iProov, said; “iProov is honoured that the Commonwealth of Australia has entrusted us with such an important task – to secure the creation of digital identities against impersonation. We are delighted that the Australian government has chosen our unique combination of inclusivity and resilience, which is already trusted by governments worldwide to authenticate citizens.”
iProov says its technology is in use by the Singapore Government for its national digital identity platform SingPass, by the UK Home Office for the EU Settlement Scheme, and by the US Department of Homeland Security for land border crossing.
And it is also the only biometric authentication system in a certification meeting the highest level of the European eIDAS international digital identity scheme.