DVDs are great; they revolutionised home entertainment with special features like deleted scenes and commentaries. In fact, despite the ease of streaming online video services, you still can’t beat your own faithful DVD collection for classic titles, for extra features, and, of course, for pay-once view-many enjoyment.
Yet, it doesn’t have to be one or the other. You can enjoy your DVD collection and streaming media with your own home media setup, using software like Plex or Kodi or others. The only real challenge to solve is getting your DVD library into your home media set-up in the first place.
This isn’t as simple as you might think; your operating system of choice may not actually play DVDs — at least, all DVDs — without purchasing specific codecs to encode and decode specific formats, and won’t include DVD “ripping” software — the tools to extract a DVD into a single, playable file on your hard disk — out-of-the-box.
Here’s where WinX DVD Ripper comes in, with a long proven history of availability and updates since its initial release in 2006. The feature list is comprehensive, showing why it’s the choice of 5.8 million downloaders.
These features include:
- Supports DVD movies, data disc, ISO images, DVD folders, homemade discs, 99-title DVDs, even damaged discs and more;
- Outputs DVD to MP4, AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV and all other important video formats;
- Over 350 profiles to optimise your DVD rippings for iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, gaming consoles, and more;
- Uses your GPU for fast and reliable hardware decoding;
- Many tutorials on the WinX website to help show how to convert from one format to another, for example, DVD to MP4, or DVD to hard drive; and
- Flexible subtitle and video setting options, without being overwhelming and complex.
The hardware processing is particularly innovative, accelerating the process without any degradation in video quality.
Further, the 99-title DVD support requires some extra mention. This is a particular format used by certain vendors — Disney is one, along with Paramount and Warner Brothers — to mask the content of the DVD, making it appear as if it has 99 titles (hence the name) and a whopping 40GB file size.
The idea is to prevent piracy, but, of course, honest users who want a back-up of their own DVD library are caught in the crossfire. This 99-title DVD format can easily fool lesser products, but WinX DVD Ripper eats this format as effortlessly it does others, tangibly demonstrating the programmer’s commitment to handling a wide range of DVD layouts.
Nicely, WinX DVD Ripper is free! A paid platinum version exists, which offers greatly enhanced ripping speed, over 210 video and audio codecs, and improvements in video quality and file-size optimisation. The platinum version is a one-off fee that includes lifetime updates, with pricing options for one PC and for two to five PCs.
Celebrating the holiday, you can even get a free licence if you act right now, with a US$29.95 lifetime version (normally US$67.95) and a free Platinum licence for the current version.
Example – ripping a DVD to MP4 without losing quality
Here’s how to use WinX DVD Ripper for one of its most common scenarios – actually ripping a DVD to a single, portable yet high-quality MP4 file.
- Insert the DVD into your computer’s DVD drive;
- Open WinX DVD Ripper;
- Click DVD Disc on the main menu bar;
- Confirm the DVD is identified, and click OK;
- A window labelled “Output Profile” is displayed; click General Profiles / MP4 Video;
- Click Run; and
- That’s it :) – let WinX DVD Ripper do its thing, then enjoy the resulting MP4 video on whichever of your devices you like.
WinX DVD Ripper is the best DVD ripping tool in our testing. In our experiments, we found we could rip a 2.5 hour DVD with 385 frames per second in about 8½ minutes from start to finish, resulting in a single 1.24GB video file that plays on PC, mobile devices, home media servers, and other devices, with superb quality, thus extending the lifetime and usability of our discs, giving us content that streaming services either don’t provide or charge a monthly fee to access. You can download WinX DVD Ripper online and get a free licence via the current giveaway.