Now in its eighth year, Vivid Sydney sees light art, installations and projections installed throughout the city and around the Sydney Harbour Foreshore. Sydney’s world famous icons, including the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge, become the canvas for light art on a grand scale.
In 2015, the festival featured more than 80 light installations and projections as part of Vivid Light; over 70 bands performed more than 1,502 programmed hours during Vivid Music; and an incredible 500 speakers featured in more than 150 talk events as part of Vivid Ideas.
Destination NSW CEO and Executive Producer of Vivid Sydney, Sandra Chipchase said the festival was extended to allow Sydney to welcome more international visitors to the event. “Vivid Sydney is established as the largest festival of its kind in the world, attracting a record 1.7 million people in 2015. Expanding the festival in 2016 will give international visitors more time to experience the spectacular light, music and ideas that illuminate our Harbour City each winter.”
“I encourage visitors to plan a trip to Vivid Sydney 2016 and NSW – you won’t be disappointed,” she added.
Vivid Sydney celebrates Sydney as the creative hub of the Asia-Pacific. It is owned, managed and produced by Destination NSW, the State Government’s tourism and major events agency. Read on for some preliminary details.
What: Vivid Sydney 2016: The largest light, music and ideas event in the world, Vivid Sydney is a major celebration of creativity and the creative industries. The 2016 program will be announced in March. Festival pillars include:
- Vivid Light: Free, amazing outdoor art installations transform Sydney’s architecture and open spaces nightly
- Vivid Music: Music collaborations and performances to entertain and intrigue, including Vivid LIVE at the Sydney Opera House
- Vivid Ideas: Creative ideas, public talks, industry seminars, conferences, workshops and debates take place across Sydney
When: 27 May – 18 June 2016
Where: Sydney, Australia. Locations across the CBD including lighting projections along the Sydney Harbour foreshore, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Customs House, Circular Quay, Taronga Zoo, and many more.
Vivid Sydney 2015 Facts and Figures:
- Over 1.7 million attendees
- More than 26,000 international packages sold
- 121 international trade familiarisation visitors
- More than 90,000 attended Vivid Music events
- More than 70,000 attended Vivid Ideas events
- 1.9 million visits to www.vividsydney.com
- 17.9 million people reached from Vivid Sydney Facebook
- 925,222 photos viewed on Vivid Sydney Facebook
- 77,900 downloads of the Vivid Sydney app
- More than 70 bands performed at Vivid Music with 382 musicians, 232 DJs and 1,502 hours of programmed music entertaining festival goers
- Over 500 speakers participating in more than 150 Vivid Ideas events
- More than 80 light installations and projections by 225 artists from 21 different countries