Police from both organisations searched three premises in Bendigo on Saturday in connection with the warrants served on the two, a statement from Victoria Police said.
The 28-year-old is alleged to have been the ringleader and has been charged with:
- "Unauthorised access to data held in a computer, contrary to section 477.1 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth.) and punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment;
- "Using a carriage service to make a threat to cause serious harm, contrary to section 474.15(2) of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth.) and punishable by up to seven years imprisonment;
- "Using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence, contrary to section 474.17 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth.) and punishable by up to three years;
- "Dishonestly obtaining or dealing with personal financial information, contrary to section 480.4 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth.) and punishable by up to five years imprisonment; and
- "Sabotage, contrary to section 247K of the Crimes Act 1958 (Vic) and punishable by up to 25 years imprisonment."
The 27-year-old was hit with three firearms offences, with the police alleging that he had been in possession of an unregistered firearm in violation of section 6A of the Firearms Act 1996.
He was granted bail and will face court on 8 August.
Chris Goldsmid, AFP acting commander, Cyber Crime Operations, said: "Each occasion a police phone line was unavailable as result of these malicious attacks meant members of the public were unable to access a vital service. This had serious implications for the broader community.
“Some of the attacks included a spate of text messages asking for emergency assistance. People who called the number back reported being verbally abused by a recording on the other end. This created fear, distress and anxiety amongst some of the most vulnerable in our community."