In a statement issued on Friday, Swinburne said it had been advised in March about the leak of data which it said was event registration information from 2013 onwards.
Names, email addresses and phone numbers of about 5200 of its staff, 100 students and what it called "some externals" — roughly 200 other people — were exposed on the Internet.
In 2019, the Canberra-based Australian National University suffered a much bigger data breach, with personal details of staff, students and visitors over the previous 19 years exposed.
"Our investigation showed that the source of the data was an event registration Web page that is no longer available. The information made available was name, email address and, in some cases, a contact phone number.
"We sincerely apologise to all those impacted by this data breach and for any concerns this has caused.
"We are currently in the process of contacting all individuals whose information was made available to apologise to them and offer appropriate support.
"We are also contacting around 200 other individuals not connected to Swinburne who had registered for the event and whose information was also made available.
"We have reported the breach to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, followed by the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner, the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency and the Victorian Education Department."