The release can be downloaded here. The major new features in version 7.0 are:
"Support for ODF 1.3. OpenDocument, LibreOffice's native open and standardised format for office documents, has recently been updated to version 1.3 as an OASIS Technical Committee Specification. The most important new features are digital signatures for documents and OpenPGP-based encryption of XML documents, with improvements in areas such as change tracking, and additional details in the description of elements in first pages, text, numbers and charts. The development of ODF 1.3 features has been funded by donations to The Document Foundation.
"Skia graphics engine and Vulkan GPU-based acceleration. The Skia graphics engine has been implemented thanks to sponsorship by AMD, and is now the default on Windows, for faster performance. Skia is an open source 2D graphics library which provides common APIs that work across a variety of hardware and software platforms, and can be used for drawing text, shapes and images. Vulkan is a new-generation graphics and compute API with high-efficiency and cross-platform access to modern GPUs.
The Foundation said that any business looking to use the new version of LibreOffice should source it from one of the ecosystem partners in order to get long-term supported releases, dedicated assistance, custom new features and other benefits, including service level agreements.
It further advised that for migrations from proprietary office suites and training, professional support should be sourced from certified professionals who provide value-added services which extend the reach of the community to the corporate world, and offer CIOs and IT managers a solution in line with proprietary offerings.
Other new features in version 7.0:
- New icon theme, the default on macOS: Sukapura.
- New shapes galleries: arrows, diagrams, icons and more.
- Glow and soft edge effects for objects.
- Navigator is easier to use, with more context menus.
- Semi-transparent text is now supported.
- Bookmarks can now be displayed in-line in text.
- Padded numbering in lists, for consistency.
- Better handling of quotation marks and apostrophes.
- New functions for non-volatile random number generation.
- Keyboard shortcut added for autosum.
Impress and Draw
- Semi-transparent text is supported here too.
- Subscripts now return to the default of 8%.
- PDFs larger than 500 cm can now be generated.