Home Networking ExtraHop 6.2 hits 40Gbps for packet capture

Real-time IT analytics vendor ExtraHop has announced a new version of the ExtraHop platform with a number of major enhancements.

ExtraHop version 6.2 can capture packets at up to 40Gbps, which the company claims is four times faster than competing vendors can achieve. In addition, it can now perform continuous packet capture in virtual environments.

The product integrates with ServiceNow, automatically ticketing and triaging events.

Users can be presented with dashboards based on their LDAP privileges, making it simpler to meet the needs of different groups, and queries can now be nested when searching transaction records.

The cost of storing data for subsequent forensic analysis has been reduced to as little as 50% of that for competing products.

ExtraHop ANZ lead Kem Pehlivan told iTWire that the company's approach was to observe and analyse network traffic flows. This allowed network performance monitoring and diagnostics (NPMD) without the need to add instrumentation to code, install agents on devices, or aggregate log data.

The flows are automatically analysed and classified, determining what conditions are normal, and providing early warnings when things start to go wrong.

This approach reveals 90% of the information IT teams need without requiring instrumentation, freeing up time to work on the remaining 10%.

The analysis is performed as close as possible to the source to make the results as close to real-time as possible and to avoid duplicating the data. But if some sort of post-processing is required (eg, for forensic examination), ExtraHop can easily store the packets.

This process turns what is otherwise considered an IT overhead into an asset that can help run the business, said Pehlivan.

“The transformation from reactive to proactive cannot happen without technologies to support it, and the traditional packets-first NPMD model has rendered proactive, strategic operations virtually impossible,” said Jesse Rothstein, chief technology officer and co-founder of ExtraHop.

“At ExtraHop, we’ve recognised from the beginning that the scale, complexity, and dynamism of modern IT couldn’t be addressed with post-hoc analysis of data. Modern IT demands analytics that are real-time, at scale, as well as intelligent, actionable, and predictive. This is a new era for analytics, and ExtraHop continues to push the envelope far beyond legacy NPMD products.”

ExtraHop 6.2 will be generally available on 19 April.


With 4 keynotes + 33 talks + 10 in-depth workshops from world-class speakers, YOW! is your chance to learn more about the latest software trends, practices and technologies and interact with many of the people who created them.

Speakers this year include Anita Sengupta (Rocket Scientist and Sr. VP Engineering at Hyperloop One), Brendan Gregg (Sr. Performance Architect Netflix), Jessica Kerr (Developer, Speaker, Writer and Lead Engineer at Atomist) and Kent Beck (Author Extreme Programming, Test Driven Development).

YOW! 2018 is a great place to network with the best and brightest software developers in Australia. You’ll be amazed by the great ideas (and perhaps great talent) you’ll take back to the office!

Register now for YOW! Conference

· Sydney 29-30 November
· Brisbane 3-4 December
· Melbourne 6-7 December

Register now for YOW! Workshops

· Sydney 27-28 November
· Melbourne 4-5 December



Australia is a cyber espionage hot spot.

As we automate, script and move to the cloud, more and more businesses are reliant on infrastructure that has the high potential to be exposed to risk.

It only takes one awry email to expose an accounts’ payable process, and for cyber attackers to cost a business thousands of dollars.

In the free white paper ‘6 Steps to Improve your Business Cyber Security’ you’ll learn some simple steps you should be taking to prevent devastating and malicious cyber attacks from destroying your business.

Cyber security can no longer be ignored, in this white paper you’ll learn:

· How does business security get breached?
· What can it cost to get it wrong?
· 6 actionable tips


Stephen Withers

joomla visitors

Stephen Withers is one of Australia¹s most experienced IT journalists, having begun his career in the days of 8-bit 'microcomputers'. He covers the gamut from gadgets to enterprise systems. In previous lives he has been an academic, a systems programmer, an IT support manager, and an online services manager. Stephen holds an honours degree in Management Sciences and a PhD in Industrial and Business Studies.


Popular News




Sponsored News