The stationery giant made the recall yesterday, saying the melted USB charger was one of 3400 of the devices sold Australia-wide.
Luckily no-one was injured in the incident, which occured in Victoria.
NSW Fair Trading Minister Matthew Mason-Cox said in an interview the Officeworks recall was a voluntary one.
"Consumers who have purchased these devices are urged to stop using them immediately and return the goods to Officeworks for a full refund," he said.
The recalled USB chargers were sold between 19 July last year and 2 August.
The recall was issued following the death of 28-year-old Sydney resident Sheryl Anne Aldeguer in April this year from an electric shock believed to have been caused by a USB charger.
As we reported at the time the mother-of-two is believed to have been electrocuted, having been found wearing headphones and holding her laptop, with burns on her ears and chest.
Her death prompted authorities to warn against buying rip-off electrical devices.
The chargers recalled by Officeworks yesterday are not the same as the one connected to Aldeguer's death, Mason-Cox said.
“In some instances the USB charger can overheat which can cause the casing to melt allowing access to live circuits,” the ACCC said. “The defect could result in electrical shock, fire or serious injury.”
Affected consumers are advised to return the product to any Officeworks store for a full refund.
“The safety of Officeworks’ products is our absolute priority. As such, we have voluntarily elected to recall one line of USB wall chargers (model MS10071223),” Officeworks said in a statement. “We are currently conducting further testing, however, on a precautionary basi,s we recommend customers return the model in question to their local stores for a full refund. Customers with any concerns can contact 1300 OFFICE (633 423).”