Qualcomm said this growth exemplifies how it is critical to enabling the global digital transformation of industries with a differentiated approach that leverages the growing number of smart devices that make up the connected intelligent edge.
“To directly address the fragmented nature of the IoT industry, our Qualcomm IoT Services Suite offering is helping to bridge the gap for IoT service providers and entities looking to efficiently and effectively deploy smart solutions. In just one year, the offering has grown beyond our expectations, and we are proud of the interest we have attained and the shift in mentality we have driven to meet the needs of smart solutions across multiple industries beyond just smart cities,” said Qualcomm Technologies senior director and global head of smart cities Sanjeet Pandit.
A Differentiated Model
Qualcomm says it's IoT services suite benefits businesses and entities looking to adopt smart solutions. The unique IoTaaS model is designed to remove the need to invest in costly and fragmented efforts. Adopting IoTaaS enables streamlined, end-to-end solutions, taking the place of lengthy processes that previously took months or years and can shrink timelines to a matter of weeks. Ultimately this supports rollout with faster time to commercialisation and provides increased accessibility to smart solutions and infrastructure for businesses and communities, Qualcomm advises.
Qualcomm stated that what started as intelligent solutions for Smart Cities has emerged as a powerful digital transformation offering, enabling adopters to create self-sustaining revenue models by monetising their own smart solutions. The Qualcomm IoT services suite’s model is proliferating the digitisation of industries, helping to enrich lives through the accelerated transformation of infrastructure and services.
An Enhanced Platform
Qualcomm says its IoT services suite has introduced enhanced platform features to deliver additional capabilities including:
- Drag and drop deployment with low code development
- Automated device onboarding and management
- Streamlined device configuration and customisable user-interface (UI)
- Integrated standard operating procedures (SOP) workflow
- Edge-AI and Cloud integration enabling scalability and efficiency
More than 30 IoTaaS Verticals
Qualcomm Technologies unveiled more than 30 IoTaaS verticals across multiple industries. Highlights of the latest key IoTaaS verticals include:
- Inspection as-a-Service provides the ability to detect incidents on construction sites and deploy roof top inspection, safety and security missions as a first responder, provide emergency response and support for natural disasters, and more with FlightOps.
- Smart Asset Management as-a-Service delivers highly specialized solutions for supply chain visibility, transforming the asset management experience by improving tracking, compliance, and efficiency with Tag N Trac.
- Traffic Management as-a-Service reimagines how cities plan, control, and adapt the flow and movement of traffic on their streets and improves the commuting and driving experience for all road users, traffic signal optimisation for reduced congestion and improved safety, and event and emergency notification and pre-emptions with NoTraffic.
- Smart Venues as-a-Service utilises a lidar based safety and security system which adheres to the privacy concerns and optimises the utilisation of space with TheIndoorLabs.
IoT ecosystem leaders showcased the latest IoT services suite verticals and offerings:
“FlightOps is proud and honoured to participate as a topic expert for drone management and inspection as a service in the Qualcomm Smart Cities Accelerate 2021 event, presenting and demonstrating how the FlightOps Drone OS coupled with the powerful Qualcomm Flight™ RB5 5G Platform is revolutionising the #airmobility market. The powerful Qualcomm Flight RB5 5G Platform, coupled with 5G connectivity and our robotic FlightOps drone operating system allows us to offer unprecedented performance and operational scalability, flying larger numbers of drones, to longer distances and performing complex missions in complex and shared airspace,” says FlightOps chief executive officer Shay Levy.
“Working with cities and traffic agencies throughout the United States and Canada on their urban mobility challenges, we see immediate improvements in their key metrics – such as delay times, CO2 pollution, and safety, not to mention the residents’ satisfaction”, says NoTraffic co-founder and chief executive officer Tal Kreisler. “The collaboration with Qualcomm Technologies gives us access to innovative technology on the one hand, and to strategic, mobility-focused initiatives on the other hand, generating a win-win-win scenario in the IoTaaS domain. Qualcomm Technologies solutions are fundamental components of the NoTraffic Autonomous Traffic Management platform.”
“When you have all sources of information about your global supply chain in one place, it’s easier to ensure your products reach their destination for your customers. Maximising visibility of the eight imperatives for supply chain excellence includes location monitoring, connectivity, global operations, supply chain intelligence, sensors, temperature monitoring, theft mitigation, and data analytics. Teaming with Qualcomm Technologies on IoTaaS helps us meet these eight imperatives at low cost from silicon to edge computing,” said Tag-N-Trac Inc chief executive officer Venu Gutlapalli.
The Indoor Lab
“Given The Indoor Lab’s leading position for creating smart spaces using lidar, we see integrating with the Qualcomm IoT Services Suite as an evolutionary extension to scale, future proof, and deliver a safer experience for venues and operators with our Traffic Analyzer platform” says The Indoor Lab co-founder and chief product officer Patrick Blattner.
This first appeared in the subscription newsletter CommsWire on 30 September 2021.