Great news for fans of the Netgear Arlo wireless security camera system – its successor has finally arrived, continuing its wire-free and waterproof nature, but with some fantastic advances.
Now featuring quick-charge rechargeable batteries, two-way audio, advanced night vision and a wide 130 degree viewing angle, Netgear’s Arlo Pro is arguably the easiest and best security camera system on the planet, free from the drudgery of wires and complicated setups.
Indeed, Netgear bills its Arlo Pro Wire-Free HD Security Camera Systems (model VMS4X30) as “the world’s most advanced and versatile smart home security camera".
The company explains that Arlo Pro “features a sleek, stylish wire-free compact design that takes up minimal space and does not require an outlet for power.”
The explanation continues:
- Arlo Pro wire-free cameras can be easily and discreetly placed anywhere — inside or outside of your home — from the front porch, to the baby’s room, to the front yard, or on the backyard fence.
- With crystal clear HD video, and now with long-lasting rechargeable batteries, two-way audio and the first and only weatherproof wire-free camera with a wide 130 degree field of view, Arlo Pro offers a home monitoring experience that is unlike any other.
- The new two-way talk allows you to hear everything that is going on in and around your home – talk to kids and pets or shout at intruders and thieves.
- With instant motion alerts and Arlo’s new smart siren, it has never been easier to put a stop to crime before it happens.
- In addition to these new features, Arlo Pro includes advancements across all areas of wire-free camera technology including innovations in video, night vision and activity detection, as well as several new software features that will significantly enhance the mobile app experience.
Pat Collins, senior vice-president of Arlo products at NETGEAR, said: “Arlo Pro is the result of our singular focus to deliver the most innovative, intelligent and easy-to-use smart security products that uniquely address home and small business security needs
“100% wire-free cameras provide customers with an incredibly easy and powerful way to monitor their entire property. Now with the addition of rechargeable batteries, two-way audio, an enhanced HD video experience, advanced night vision, improved motion detection, as well as our new smart siren, Arlo Pro delivers the best stress-free toolset for protecting your loved ones and valuables.”
Here’s Netgear’s video on the Arlo Pro – article continues thereafter with more features, pricing and availability.
Here more detail on the new features:
- 100% Wire-Free with Rechargeable Batteries - Arlo Pro’s patented 100% wire-free design is powered by a long-lasting lithium ion rechargeable battery that is quickly charged while inserted into the camera or through the optional dual-bay Arlo Pro Charging Station. And, if there is an outlet nearby, you have the option to continuously power Arlo Pro with the included AC adapter.
- Crystal-Clear HD Video with a Wide 130 Degree Viewing Angle - With the widest field of view of any wire-free camera, coupled with sharp High Definition video, and the ability to place cameras anywhere in and around the home, Arlo Pro offers a video monitoring experience that is unlike any other.
- Talk and Listen - Arlo Pro has two-way audio so you can easily listen in on what’s happening inside or outside your home. From the front porch, to the backyard to the nursery, listen in and talk and receive instant audio alerts directly to your mobile phone.
- Innovative Night Vision Technology - Arlo Pro’s new RGB-IR night vision technology provides superior night vision viewing in clear, high resolution video – even in total darkness. RGB-IR evenly illuminates the night scene viewing area, providing crisp details and images at the edges of the scene as well as in the far distance.
- Powerful Infrared Motion Sensor – Arlo Pro’s onboard passive infrared motion sensor features a wide 130 degree capture angle and will detect movement at a range of up to 7 metres. Receive instant alerts to your phone the second activity is detected.
- New App Features and Apple TV – First and foremost, all Arlo app features have been developed with the mobile experience in mind. Enhancements have been made to all aspects of the app for a more optimised, intelligent and easy-to-use experience. With Smart Arm/Disarm you can now have Arlo cameras automatically arm or disarm based on your schedule or your location. The Arlo app is now also accessible via Apple TV. Simply download the Arlo app for Apple TV to receive notifications and view your Arlo cameras directly from your Apple TV. Arlo can also be connected to other smart home devices through platforms such as IFTTT, Samsung SmartThings, and many more to come.
- Smart Motion Recognition (coming soon) - With smart object recognition launching later this year, Arlo will use advanced machine learning algorithms in the Arlo cloud to improve how Arlo cameras capture and report events. Smart recognition analytics identify people, cars, animals and swaying trees, allowing Arlo cameras to record and alert only those events that matter. Distinguishing between people, pets and other objects, and having the ability to ignore irrelevant movements and objects, eliminates unnecessary alerts, making Arlo even smarter and allowing you to focus on what matters most.
- Crime Prevention with Smart Siren - New features of Arlo Pro have been added to not only deter crime and provide evidence for conviction, but help prevent crime before it even happens. In addition to the two-way talk feature, Arlo Pro also includes an extremely loud siren rated at 100+ decibels, which sounds from the base station. In the event that you want to alert or scare off an intruder, the siren can be remotely activated in an instant using the Arlo app, or set to automatically trigger when motion or audio is detected.
- Free 7 Days Cloud Recording - With Arlo’s free cloud storage, both motion- and audio-triggered videos are always stored for 7 days at no extra cost. Additionally, instead of paying a monthly subscription fee for each camera, Arlo allows you to connect up to 5 wire-free cameras without recurring monthly subscription fees. Optional subscription-based service plans are available as well for systems of more than five cameras or storing of recordings beyond the free 7-day plan.
So, what is the cost, and when will the Arlo Pro become available?
- The Arlo Pro Systems (VMS4X30) will be available from April 13 at major retailers in store and online starting at an RRP of $499 AUD.
- Arlo Pro Add-on Cameras (VMC4030) are available for purchase for an RRP of $349 AUD.
- Arlo Wire-Free and Arlo Pro wire-free are interchangeable. Existing owners of the Arlo Wire Free system can add the new Arlo Pro cameras to their existing base station or they may opt to use their existing wire-free cameras with the new Arlo Pro Base Station.
Arlo Pro Accessories
- Accessories for your Arlo Pro are sold separately and require an existing Arlo Pro System.
- Arlo Pro Charging Station (VMA4400C)
- Use the fast-charging Arlo Pro Charging Station to charge up to two Arlo Pro batteries simultaneously, saving on charging time and minimising camera downtime.
- Arlo Pro Rechargeable Battery (VMA4400)
- Get an add-on 2440mAh Lithium Ion battery and fast-charging power adapter so you can swap out your batteries and avoid waiting for a charge.
- Arlo Pro Skins (VMA4200B)
- A lightweight silicon material available in black protects your Arlo Pro camera from natural elements and helps to blend into its surroundings.