Although the very newest Huawei devices come with an EMUI 10 and Android 10 OS without Google Mobile Services and the Google Play Store, already released Huawei devices that already have full Google access continue having full access to the entire Google ecosystem - and will do so when they are updated with the latest EMUI 10 and Android 10 OS update.
Most of these devices either launched with Android OS version 8 or 9, and while Huawei has long promised these devices would continue receiving updates, it is now that the updates have been officially announced for many, but not all, of these devices.
Interestingly, although Huawei is only officially announcing the update now, it has indeed been possible to update some Huawei devices to EMUI 10 and Android 10 prior to this official announcement, using Huawei's HiCare app.
This app allowed me to update a P30 Pro to EMUI 10 several weeks ago without issue, in a fully supported manner, although the official announcement means that the traditional update procedure of going to Settings, then System, and then Update will show the EMUI 10 update when the eligible Huawei device you have receives the update - something that will happen, depending on device, during January, February and March.
So, what does Huawei have to say about the welcomed development?
"Based on Android 10, the EMUI update is designed for simplicity, offering users a refined yet highly-customisable experience. Users can enjoy better performance, a revamped camera app, aesthetic improvements and new collaboration features.
"Throughout January, February and March, 14 Huawei smartphone models that span the P30 Series, Mate 20 Series and Y9 Prime, will receive download prompts. Users can also check if the update has reached their device by navigating to Settings > System > Software Update".
Larking Huang, Managing Director of Huawei Consumer in Australia said, "We are excited to bring Huawei’s most refined EMUI release to our Australian customers. EMUI 10 takes user experience to another level with large scale redesigns and subtle but important enhancements throughout. This latest update is the quintessential version of EMUI, reflecting all we have learnt over the past seven years.”
A check of international news sources shows that Huawei has made a similar announcement about EMUI 10 updates either now available or coming over the next couple of months for Huawei Mate 20 series, P30 series, Y9 Prime, Nova 5t and other Huawei devices in a range of other regions, so Huawei owners around the world will be getting the same updates.
Top features of EMUI 10 include:
- Redesigned natural interface: Design elements across the UI have been consolidated to streamline the navigation experience and create a consistent look. The UI has also been designed with improved animations for more natural responses.
- Dark Mode: Huawei has re-engineered dark mode to ensure maximum eye-comfort thanks to a colour-adjusting algorithm that creates the optimal text to background contrast.
- Increased security: All security sensitive functions like payments and authentications occur on an isolated and protected environment within the operating system.
- Enhanced performance: The Deterministic Latency Engine optimises resource-allocation for consistent software performance, and the upgraded GPU Turbo delivers improved graphic processing and battery performance.
- Multi-screen collaboration: EMUI 10 smartphones can be tethered seamlessly to Huawei PCs, allowing the smartphone to be controlled within the EMUI Desktop app — even without Wi-Fi. Files can be dropped between devices and messages can be controlled via the PC’s keyboard.
The full EMUI 10 rollout schedule for Australia is as follows:
- P30 Pro (except Telstra, Optus and Vodafone), P30 (except Optus and Vodafone)
- Mate 20 Pro (except Optus and Vodafone), Mate 20 (except Vodafone), Porsche Design
- Mate 20 Pro
- Nova 5t
- P30 Pro (including Telstra, Optus & Vodafone), P30 (including Optus & Vodafone)
- Mate 20 Pro (including Optus & Vodafone), Mate 20 (including Vodafone), P20 Pro, P20
- Mate 10 Pro (except Optus), Mate 10 (except Vodafone), Porsche design Mate 10 Pro, Porsche design Mate 10
- Y9 Prime
- P30 lite
- Mate 10 Pro (including Optus), Mate 10 (including Vodafone)