Netgear has announced the Australian availability "of the next generation of wireless routers based on Wi-Fi 6, 802.11ax technology, the new standard for Wi-Fi — the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 Wi-Fi Router (RAX80)".
We're told that "Australians are spending more time than even before interacting with digital media, every day. When multiple users simultaneously stream videos, play online games, and run their many numerous smart home devices, the network may get congested and performance will suffer.
"Next-generation AX Wi-Fi is now poised to radically improve the Wi-Fi experience by improving the ability to serve multiple users and devices at the same time, providing better and faster wireless connectivity.
"With the increasing number of devices on a network, the new Nighthawk AX8 router is the ideal choice for today’s smart home. The Nighthawk AX8 serves as a reliable networking hub to support the multiple mobile devices and smart TVs that are streaming videos or music constantly, as well as the increasing number of Internet of Things products (IoT) such as IP cameras, smart speakers, and smart appliances that are now common in many Australian homes."
Note, the video starts exactly at the Nighthawk AX8 presentation:
What is more info on the new Wi-Fi 6, 802.11 AX standard?
Netgear says the new Wi-Fi standard is "based on the evolutionary OFDMA technology allowing simultaneous data transfer between the router and the devices. This uses the Wi-Fi bandwidth more efficiently, increasing the overall capacity of the home network to handle even more traffic.
"AX Wi-Fi is designed to meet the needs of a typical smart home with varying requirements, from high bandwidth applications like video streaming, to low bandwidth applications like IoT devices that are always connected. Most importantly, the Nighthawk AX8 works in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band, and is backwards compatible with all Wi-Fi devices."
We're also told that the "Nighthawk AX8 is also one of the first routers to deliver more than one Gigabit Internet speeds to your home with the ability to aggregate two Gigabit Ethernet ports for the Internet connection.
"With 160MHz bandwidth support, users can get Gigabit Wi-Fi bandwidth to their mobile devices, dramatically improving the productivity, performance, and entertainment experiences at home."
David Henry, SVP of Netgear's Connected Home Products division said: "Nighthawk AX8 delivers super-fast Wi-Fi with better coverage and, more importantly, has the power and capacity to handle the dozens of devices in the typical congested smart home.
“As we continue to add more and more Wi-Fi-enabled devices to our homes, it’s critical that each device gets the Wi-Fi bandwidth it needs, so that you can get the quality connected experience you deserve. AX is the multitasking Wi-Fi for the way we live and connect, both for today and in the years to come.”
- Nighthawk AX8 is packed with the most cutting-edge innovations in router technology to improve performance of your home Wi-Fi network and the devices connecting to it.
- 8-Stream Wi-Fi Router – Relish your 8-stream Wi-Fi with up to 1.2 + 4.8Gbps for blazing-fast wireless speeds.
- Highly Increased Network Capacity & Efficiency with AX Wi-Fi- Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) enables efficient data transmission for more devices at the same time in upload and download directions to substantially improve network capacity and efficiency.
- Powerful Quad-Core 1.8GHz Processor—Robust processing power to provide the best performance across all wired and wireless interfaces. An additional quad core co-processor handles all Multi-Gig LAN-WAN traffic to ensure main processor is available for additional applications.
- 2Gbps Wired Connectivity for Faster Internet—Aggregate two (2) Ethernet ports for more than one Gigabit Internet speed.
- 160MHz Channel Support– Gigabit Wi-Fi connection with today’s and future mobile devices that support 160MHz bandwidth.
- Six (6) Gigabit Ports—Connect more wired devices for faster file transfer and uninterrupted connections.
- Works with Existing Wi-Fi Devices— Supports all current Wi-Fi devices and is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac client devices.
- Pre-optimised Hidden Antennas—The AX8 antennas come pre-optimised for best Wi-Fi performance hidden in the innovative ‘wing’ design.
- NETGEAR Nighthawk App—Easily set up your router and get more out of your Wi-Fi. Includes remote access to manage your network away from home.
- Automatic firmware updates deliver latest security patches to the router.
- Netgear thoughtfully designs all its products to emphasise ease-of-use qualities. Nighthawk AX routers are no exception, with many features that make it easy to manage and protect your network, devices, and precious content.
- Smart Connect — Intelligently select the fastest Wi-Fi band for every device with same Wi-Fi name.
- Nighthawk App – Easily set up your router and get remote access to manage your network away from home.
- VPN Support — Enjoy secure access to your home network when away from home using any device – PC, Mac, and mobile devices with Android and iOS apps.
- Security Updates — Get the latest firmware updates to your router automatically.
- Guest Network — Easily set up a separate and secure network for friends and family without sharing your personal network password.
- Voice Control — Use simple voice commands to control your NETGEAR Wi-Fi network as Nighthawk AX8 works with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant.
So, what is the Pricing and Availability?
Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 Wi-Fi Router (RAX80) is available for from authorised Netgear partners and other reseller channels, ecommerce sites, and major retailers, at A$599.99.
In the video above, we also learn that Netgear Nighthawk Mesh router add-ons are coming in June, with pricing to be revealed on those - but it does mean that you can create a mesh Wi-Fi 6 network in the not-too distant future.
Part 1 of this series looks at the new Netgear Meural Canvas for incredible art in your home, Part 2 looks at the new Orbi Voice smart speaker and Part 4 looks at the new Nighthawk Pro XR 300 Gaming router.
Here's my video interview with Netgear SVP David Henry from September 2018 on these new products: