Shavlik, a LANDesk company, specialising in patch management, announced the release of version 2.2 of the Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Centre. It plugs directly into the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) console, with no additional training or infrastructure required to patch hundreds of third-party applications.
It is a significant enhancement to its market-leading patch management solution for Microsoft Windows client operating systems, Microsoft applications, and hundreds of third-party applications. The latest version continues to deliver the security organisations require in order to fight against cyber breaches, while eliminating the need for new infrastructure, workflows and resources often required to deter attacks on unpatched applications.
“The U.S. National Vulnerability Database says that more than 85% of vulnerabilities target third-party applications, which we have been helping Windows users to patch for decades,” said Chris Goettl, senior product manager at Shavlik. “The new and enhanced features of Shavlik Patch 2.2 will help more IT and security managers overseeing Windows environments to improve the security of those environments, quickly, easily and with no disruption for users or the business.”
Shavlik Patch 2.2 includes these new and enhanced features:
- Package search and editing – Administrators can search for, then edit and customise, patch packages as needed to comply with company policies.
- IAVA support – For Federal agencies and their partner organisations, Shavlik Patch 2.2 can automatically cross-reference U.S. Department of Defense Information Assurance Vulnerability Alerts (IAVAs) with vendor patch bulletins.
- Re-sign certificates – Many organisations choose to use shorter-lived signing certificates for heightened security. With Patch 2.2, administrators can now re-sign certificates from within the plug-in.
- Delete or re-publish updates – Administrators can now delete or re-publish updates they have previously published.
- Manage products published to WSUS – The Shavlik Patch 2.2 plug-in allows administrators to view and manage the products they have published to WSUS. The administrators can see what products are taking up WSUS categories and delete categories when needed to work around WSUS limitations.
- Metadata-only publishing – Patch managers can choose to publish patch metadata separately, for compliance reporting or to determine if the full update is needed before publishing it.
- Support for SCCM version 1511 – Fully supported on the latest version of SCCM.
I know organisations that have used Shavlik for over nearly 20 years and would not leave home without it.