According to analyst firm GlobalData’s deals database, the value marked an increase of 33.8% over the previous month - and a drop of 21.2% when compared with the last 12-month average of US$43.65 billion.
In terms of number of deals, the technology sector saw a drop of 11.8% over the last 12-month average with 1308 deals against the average of 1483 deals.
And, in value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with deals worth US$26.56 billion.
GlobalData reports that the top five technology deals accounted for 65.3% of the overall value during April 2020., with the combined value of the top five deals standing at US$22.47 billion, against the overall value of US$34.4 billion recorded for the month.
And GlobalData reports that the top five technology industry deals of April 2020 it tracked were:
- General Atlantic Singapore Fund, Jinbo Yao, Ocean Link and Warburg Pincus Asia’s US$13.99bn private equity deal with 58.com
- The US$5.7bn acquisition of Jio Platforms by Facebook
- Macquarie Group’s US$1.85bn acquisition of AirTrunk Operating
- The US$600.77m asset transaction with NOS SGPS by Cellnex Telecom
- Aprogen KIC’s acquisition of Locojoy International for US$336.9m.