The Tecra range, alongside its smaller brother the Satellite Pro, and its counterpart the Portege, have long been stables of an enterprise's laptop deployment. I was issued a Toshiba Satellite Pro myself in multiple companies going back to the late 1990s. Toshiba Client Solutions ANZ has since become Dynabook ANZ, but it's still the same great laptop series it always has been, but evolving with the times.
Back then, I could only have dreamed of having the status to merit the higher-grade Tecra with its sleek profile and extra grunt. Times have changed, and while the Tecra remains a portable powerhouse, it also comes in at an affordable price and is a terrific option for businesses and professionals, as well as consumers who want a reliable workhorse.
Dynabook provided a Tecra A50-J for iTWire to test out. You can see our unboxing below. Spec-wise, Dynabook has you covered with a range to suit different budgets, specs including:
- Processor: Intel Core i3-1115G4, i5-1135G7, i7-1165G7, i5-1145G7 vPRO and i7-1185G7 vPRO options
- Operating System: Windows 11 Pro, with an option to downgrade to Windows 10 Pro
- RAM: Two slots capable of holding 4GB, 8GB or 16GB DDR4 modules, up to a maximum of 32GB
- Disk: Choice of 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe solid-state drive
- Screen: 15" with options of 1366x768 and 15.6 1920x1080 HD IPS. The A40-J is 14" with options of 1366x768 HD, 1920x1080 HD IPS, and 1920x1080 HD IPS touch-screen
- Video: Intel Irix Xe graphics
- Wi-FI: Intel Wi-Fi 6 dual-band wireless 802.11ax
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1
- Ethernet: Intel i219V / Intel i219LM 10/100/1000Mbps
- Camera: Built-in HD webcam with dual microphone
- Audio: Stereo speakers with DTS audio processing
- Keyboard: Frameless full-size matte black tile keyboard, with an option for a tiled backlit keyboard. The A50-J also contains a numeric keyboard.
- Trackpad: Clickpad or optional SecurePad with fingerprint reader, supporting Windows Hello login technology
- Ports: 2x USB-C with Thunderbolt 4 supporting data transfer, power delivery, and display port; 2x USB 3.2, 1x gigabit LAN, 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x external headphone and microphone combo socket, 1x microSD card slot
- Battery: 4-Cell Li-Ion with 53Wh and quick charge technology, charging up to 40% within 30 minutes
- Dimensions: 358.2 x 236.9 x 19.9mm, starting at 1.65kg. The A40-J measures 323.6 x 220.6 x 18.9mm, starting at 1.45kg
- Warranty: Three-year international limited warranty, one year on battery
For individuals you gain a machine that works for you; bristling with ports and power and modern high-speed Wi-Fi and ethernet options you can be assured of rock-solid performance and connectivity all day long, supported by 10.4-hour battery life.
iTWire found the full-size keyboard was smooth to use and allowed typing with alacrity. There was no compromise on typing quality when moving from a desktop to the Tecra, allowing the churning out of stories, manuals, even applications and SQL queries. It even opens up to 180 degrees to lie completely flat. In lesser laptops, the hinge would be a weak point, but the Tecra hinge remains solid, and the anti-glare display makes it easy to work in any environment. With its thin and light designs, it's super-easy to pack in your bag and take with you. Here's an open A40-J to see:
For enterprises, there's also a lot to love. The modern Intel processor, Windows 11 support - with optional Windows 10 downgrade if it suits your environment better, built-in TPM 2.0 security, and full support for Windows Hello gives you a lot of trust, confidence, and control. The three-year warranty allows your IT team to focus on business activities with less time dealing with hardware troubleshooting.
Additionally, there's a webcam shutter slider to give full peace of mind your webcam is not on when you don't want it to be, a security lock slot, SmartCard reader and optional fingerprint reader for biometric security.
What's more, the laptop includes antibacterial paint coating tested to Japanese Industrial Standard Z 2801-2010 to a level of 99.99%, to prevent the growth of microorganisms. You can type with safety and confidence.
Here's our unboxing, and why not take a look at the Dynabook Tecra A40-J/A50-J for yourself, and unbox your own? Pricing begins at $1250 for the A50-J and $1199 for the A40-J.