DSM is the Synology NAS operating system software, powering the popular disk-based system, and unlocking its vast capabilities as a do-anything device. While at heart a NAS is, literally, network-attached storage, it is in no way limited to existence as simply a file server. With DSM and its rich ecosystem of applications, your NAS can be a WordPress blog server, web host, virtual machine and software development server, FTP repository, Plex media server, or many, many other things.
DSM 7.0 has been in the works at Synology for over three years and is now available, with compatible device owners merely needing to visit the Synology Download Center, download DSM 7.0 for their device, then use Control Panel / Update and Restore / Manual DSM Update to update.
DSM 7.0 features a completely new user interface, overhauls of many subsystems, and literally thousands of improvements across the entire platform.
Significant features include:
- Hybrid cloud support, allowing businesses to access or recover files instantly from multiple locations while managing Synology NAS devices across locations through a cloud-based performance monitoring and automated warning system
- New data protection to secure endpoint devices, virtual machines, SaaS services, and more with automated backups
- Fiber channel support, bringing high availability and low latency
- BTRFS metadata pinning for SSD cache, speeding up response and file access times
- Up to 200% faster SSD cache write-back performance
- Up to 80% faster RAID 6 performance
- Improved user permission controls, with change tracking and exporting
- FIDO2 support and a secure sign-in application for enhanced multi-factor and hardware-based passwordless security
- Active insights
- Linux bare-metal backup support added to Active Backup for Business
- Backup and recover entire Google or Microsoft 365 environments with Active Backup for Google Workplace and Active Backup for Microsoft 365
- A completely revamped Synology Photos application, including smartphone application, to provide fast and efficient backup and searching of photos with timeline views, person recognition, and other features
- High availability to combine two identical Synology devices to form an active-passive cluster, reducing service disruptions from hardware or software faults
You can install DSM 7.0 on your Synology NAS J, Value, and Plus devices right now at no cost. iTWire will also be testing it out and will provide a review, tips, and insights in the coming weeks.