Its OEMs’ (original equipment manufacturers) can now provide their customers with greater options for cost-competitive, high-performance midrange enterprise-class storage.
Mark Peters, practice director and senior analyst of Enterprise Strategy Group said, “Not only are OEM sales efforts now bolstered by a more comprehensive selection of field-proven storage solutions, but also these new RealStor enhancements address critical enterprise needs while maintaining the products’ hallmark competitive pricing. The result is that OEMs – regardless of customer needs or budget – will be able to offer very compelling solutions through their relationship with Seagate.”
Seagate’s RealStor product line (series 3000, 4000 and 6000) have a simple user interface, real-time tiering and virtual snapshots, the easy-to-manage arrays maximize capacity and performance while keeping costs at a minimum.
RAID technology gives a 99.999% availability and they deliver exceptional performance tuned for sequential workloads. They are ideal for high-performance computing, telecommunications data capture, oil and gas seismic data analysis, media streaming, video post-production and broadcasting.
All of the arrays feature RealStor – the next-gen, real-time storage operating system – which uses intelligent autonomic tiering to configure fast solid state drives (SSDs) and low-cost high-density drives (HDDs) to set a price/performance benchmark for the midrange enterprise segment.
Enhancements to the RealStor family include the following:
- Greater Data Centre Performance: New set of value-endurance SSDs delivers all flash-like performance with HDD-like capacity, marked by a 40 percent reduction in cost per IOPS and cost per VM.
- Increased Data Centre Versatility: Features simplified storage-array management. A new OpenStack Cinder Driver further reduces complexity and cost, while enabling organisations to take advantage of cloud storage.
- Powerful, Easy Disaster Recovery: Includes new RealSpan asynchronous replication, as well as automated snapshots. Setup of RealSpan takes less than 15 minutes and delivers reliable replication to another array, whether 1 meter or 10,000 kilometers away. Additional storage snapshots can be scheduled and performed with zero performance degradation.
- Increased Performance: Delivers double the transaction performance of the RealStor 4004.
- New Interfaces: Offers fibre channel and iSCSI host support to enable broad data center connectivity for OEM customers.
“From enterprise data centres to the cloud, new software-defined and hyper-converged platforms are driving up storage demands, particularly as organisations look to harness advances in mobile, social, big data analytics and the Internet of Things,” said Bill Wuertz, vice president of engineering, Seagate. “Seagate RealStor hybrid and all-flash storage arrays are a tremendous complement to our portfolio and these enhancements only add to the great value they are known to deliver. For OEMs, the diverse options we offer ensure their customers find a solution that strongly meets their needs, budget and can accommodate future growth.”