Wednesday, 07 April 2021 11:49

Seagate claims first to ship ‘over 3 Zettabytes of data storage capacity'

By

Data solutions and storage company Seagate has announced shipping three zettabytes of hard drive storage capacity, surpassing that milestone in March 2021.

Seagate Technology. Today, the company describes itself as as crafting "the datasphere, helping to maximise humanity’s potential by innovating world-class, precision-engineered data storage and management solutions with a focus on sustainable partnerships."

In business for over 40 years, Seagate says it had previously taken 36 years to ship its first zettabyte in total, and t then took less than another four years to reach a total of two zettabytes shipped, with just over two more years to accomplish "a total of three zettabytes shipped since the company’s founding", with three zettabytes being three billion terabytes.

Seagate also says it the first to achieve 3ZB being shipped  

According to IDC, the sum of data generated globally by 2025 is "set to accelerate exponentially to 175 zettabytes."

Put another way, we're told "more data is created in a single hour now than in an entire year just two decades ago. A self-driving car can produce up to 32 terabytes of data in a single day, per vehicle, and a smart city can generate 2.5 petabytes of data each day", with the infographic embedded below showing more detail.

However, at the same time, Seagate says its "Rethink Data report" that found that, on average, "only 32% of data available to enterprises is being put to work, while the remaining 68% goes unleveraged."

Naturally, Seagate says it’s more critical than ever that "storage devices and infrastructure keep up with the growth of data creation," with the company stating it is "leading with innovations like HAMR which will help it continue to increase the capacities of HDDs and enterprise storage systems long into the future."

Meanwhile, to capture the full potential of data at the zettabyte scale, Seagate also notes it is "innovating with its open standards-based storage systems and software and Lyve edge-to-cloud mass storage platform to help enterprises overcome the cost and complexity of storing, moving, and activating data at scale."

Here is Seagate's infographic with more info:

 


Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here

GRAND OPENING OF THE ITWIRE SHOP

The much awaited iTWire Shop is now open to our readers.

Visit the iTWire Shop, a leading destination for stylish accessories, gear & gadgets, lifestyle products and everyday portable office essentials, drones, zoom lenses for smartphones, software and online training.

PLUS Big Brands include: Apple, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sennheiser and many more.

Products available for any country.

We hope you enjoy and find value in the much anticipated iTWire Shop.

ENTER THE SHOP NOW!

INTRODUCING ITWIRE TV

iTWire TV offers a unique value to the Tech Sector by providing a range of video interviews, news, views and reviews, and also provides the opportunity for vendors to promote your company and your marketing messages.

We work with you to develop the message and conduct the interview or product review in a safe and collaborative way. Unlike other Tech YouTube channels, we create a story around your message and post that on the homepage of ITWire, linking to your message.

In addition, your interview post message can be displayed in up to 7 different post displays on our the iTWire.com site to drive traffic and readers to your video content and downloads. This can be a significant Lead Generation opportunity for your business.

We also provide 3 videos in one recording/sitting if you require so that you have a series of videos to promote to your customers. Your sales team can add your emails to sales collateral and to the footer of their sales and marketing emails.

See the latest in Tech News, Views, Interviews, Reviews, Product Promos and Events. Plus funny videos from our readers and customers.

SEE WHAT'S ON ITWIRE TV NOW!

BACK TO HOME PAGE
Alex Zaharov-Reutt

Alex Zaharov-Reutt is iTWire's Technology Editor is one of Australia’s best-known technology journalists and consumer tech experts, Alex has appeared in his capacity as technology expert on all of Australia’s free-to-air and pay TV networks on all the major news and current affairs programs, on commercial and public radio, and technology, lifestyle and reality TV shows. Visit Alex at Twitter here.

Share News tips for the iTWire Journalists? Your tip will be anonymous

WEBINARS ONLINE & ON-DEMAND

GUEST ARTICLES

VENDOR NEWS

Guest Opinion

Guest Interviews

Guest Reviews

Guest Research

Guest Research & Case Studies

Channel News

Comments